Friday, July 16, 2010

Thought about protection of intellectual property

There is a great video training series from LearnItFirst.com, and as I'm watching it, my thinking starts going on a tangent about concepts I have heard in some of business books I've been reading, regarding intellectual property. I assume that some people in this world would simply want to copy (word for word, or through a mindless process) an existing product, put another label on it and market it. But I think I have discovered a not-so-popular feature that can be exploited to help protect intellectual data.

When creating video materials or other intellectual property, I think a good measure to prevent systematic stealing of your ideas is to introduce offbeat events every so often. If your instructional video has little errors or offbeat language, an person or process that is copying your speech without any thought will also copy the error or offbeat comment. This will show in the final product they copy, making it easier to spot it among copies of your product going around the market. The videos I'm watching have that feature, where they are more like an unedited dialog, like a friend trying to show you how a program works.

Also something that might help out protecting your intellectual property is choosing an extremely narrow market (I read about this in the book "The Four Hour Workweek"). If you speak the language of a social group, for example let's say: "bilingual owners of dislexic chihuahuas", when your content is copied, it might be irrelevant for other markets.

No comments: